Technology is an integral part of the modern world. Dramatic and rapid technological change is a basic fact of life for all students. For personal, social and economic reasons, young people must be well equipped to use and understand technology.
The Technology and Applied Studies Key Learning Area (TAS KLA) focuses on the acquisition of knowledge about technology and design processes, the acquisition of practical skills in design and making, and the development of a general capacity for problem solving and analysis.
Subjects offered include:
- Stage 4 Technology (Mandatory)
- Stage 5 Design and Technology
- Stage 5 Food Technology
- Stage 5 Industrial Technology Multimedia
- Stage 5 Industrial Technology Timber
- Stage 5 iSTEM
Stage 6 Electives:
- Design and Technology
- Food Technology
- Information Processes and Technology
- Industrial Technology Multimedia Industries
- Industrial Technology Timber and Furnishing Industries
The aim of the Technology and Applied Studies Faculty is to assist in the implementation of the College Mission Statement by:
- catering for a wide range of student abilities and interests
- providing students with positive experiences which give them the confidence and inspiration to learn to the best of their ability
- adopting teaching practices which will allow students to learn and live the Gospel values of acceptance and respect for all
- provide a range of experiences which equip members of our community with the necessary skills and confidence to meet future challenges
- ensure that all members of our community participate in a planned program designed to sustain a faith community
The TAS KLA uses a Project Based Learning (PBL) approach to educating students in our care. This is a focused move away from the ideal that the teacher is the focal point of learning in the classroom. While the teacher remains the expert in the safe use and training of the use of equipment in our learning environments, it is the students that drive the direction of the learning that occurs.
The future looks bright for learning within the TAS KLA at Emmaus. The embedding of STEM ideals into the junior syllabus, and new exciting educational programs in all teaching areas developed in response to student needs and best learning practice, means that the TAS KLA is a progressive learning environment that has the students as the heart of our practice in all that we do in delivering learning.